4 x units at this stage (120mm wide x 60mm) . I might add another half base to each to widen them.
I used the same size basing as my ancient German because of the chunky figures so now I'm thinking of placing the Germans on deeper bases to represent 'deep' units for "To The Strongest"
A command pack from Warlord Games. The Germans have attached commanders in "To the Strongest" rules and I had seen something similar to this elsewhere (brains fading), and thought it was a good way to represent it.
My CinC is mounted on a round base to differentiate between himself and the sub-commanders.
The base was just a mdf beer coaster I picked up from a hardware store and sliced in half. Cheers.
Another warband finished and a wee bit of rebasing.
After much deliberation I've settled on my basing sizes. (Is this where I place my disclaimer) Cavalry will now be on 120mm x 80mm and the warbands on 120mm x 60 and 60mm x 60mm.
This allows for any changes in grid sizes when using the "To the Strongest" rule set.
The cav was a pain to remove and rebase but achieved it without damaging the figures.
Thinking maybe I should have made the warband bases slightly deeper as I'm currently painting a few Romans, as a break from the Germans, and the figures are from Black Tree Miniatures which are quite large. As a result they look great on a 60mm depth base which is the same as the Germans.
Maybe I'll just combine two warbands to give the impression of depth, Bugger, I'll have the purchase more figures.
Anyway, this is the completed Ancient German hoard so far. Will have to get them to the club sometime for a game and maybe combine with another German tribe for the evening.
Spring is here, so unfortunately less painting and more enjoying cold beer and great food in the sunshine.
Below are two units of ancient German fanatics. Figures are predominately Black Tree Miniatures with a few Foundry ones thrown in. I've used the majority of my naked and semi-naked figures for these units to give them more of a wild look.
The banners are actually orc banners from puppetswar.eu. I thought they looked the part being nice and furry like the bits of the clothing the warriors are wearing.
I've also given most of the figures wicker shields to make them semi-uniform and stand apart from the other German warbands. I have one other warband finished, so only 9 to go!!! So much for the winter project......mmmmm............maybe a spring project instead.